The School Based Assessment has been in operation in all CBSE affiliated schools for classes IX and X. As per the scheme, four Formative Assessments and two Summative Assessments are held in an academic year. The first Summative Assessment (SA–I) for this academic session for classes IX and X has been conducted in the second half of September 2012.
The following may please be noted for Summative Assessment II for class IX and Summative Assessment II (under scheme 1) for class X:
a) The Syllabus and the design of the Question Paper for different subjects of Classes IX and X Summative Assessments will be the same as communicated earlier through different circulars circulated by the Board.
b) As in practice, the Summative Assessment–II will be in the form of a pen-paper test conducted by the schools themselves.
c) In order to ensure standards, the Board will support schools to generate online question papers in the following major subjects w.e.f. this session.
- English Communicative (Code No. 101)
- English Language & Literature (Code No. 184)
- Hindi Course A (Code No. 002)
- Hindi Course B (Code No. 085)
- Mathematics (Code No. 041)
- Science (Code No. 086)
- Social Science (Code No. 087)
- Communicative Sanskrit (Code No. 122)
d) Evaluation of answer scripts will be done by the school teachers themselves on the basis of the Marking Scheme generated online as per the schedule given below. The schools may use the Sahodaya School Cluster for spot evaluation so that teachers from other schools are also involved.
e) There will be random verification of the assessment procedures carried out by schools through the Board officials/nominees appointed by the Board. With respect to other subjects/languages, the schools will administer their own question paper.
3. The Board earlier used to provide Question papers and marking scheme to conduct the SA through CDs.This year the CBSE has decided to make the distribution system better and safer by providing each school with two sets of unique question papers generated through online software.
4. The school may:
- pick up one question paper for each subject
- mix and match the 2 question papers which are automatically generated from the system based on the Board’s design.
- Prepare their own question papers as per design available on CBSE’s website (cbseacademic.in). However, in case the school prepares its own question papers, the question papers and marking scheme so prepared should be emailed to the Board (email id: [email protected]) for verification within a week of conduct of the respective paper.
5. To distribute the question papers and marking scheme to schools, the Board has decided to use web-based technology and built a solution called “CBSE Integrated Test Management System (CBSE-ITMS)”
The CBSE ITMS is an application that automates Question Paper and Marking Scheme generation and distribution. Question Papers and Marking Schemes are automatically generated online. This innovative solution will allow the CBSE affiliated schools to access question papers and download them in a transparent, secure and user-friendly manner.
The Principals are requested to read Annexure I and register themselves in the system starting from February 1, 2013 to February 15, 2013.
6. Every School, Sahodaya Cluster or City may design its own date sheet for classes IX and X School Based Examination accordingly.
7. Schedule for Supply of Question Papers and Marking Scheme by the Board and Conduct of SA-II by the schools:
|Class||Supply of Online Question Papers||Conduct of Examination||Supply of Online Marking Scheme|
|IX||From 5th March 2013||10th March, 2013 to 20th March, 2013||From 19thMarch, 2013|
|X||From 11th March, 2013||15thMarch, 2013 to 30th March, 2013||From 29thMarch, 2013|
The principals are requested follow the steps in Annexure II to download the question papers and marking scheme.
8. The schools need to take the printouts of the desired question paper (refer para 4 above) and, thereafter, the required number of prints/copies may be made at the school level. These question papers must be kept carefully maintaining secrecy.
9. It may be noted again that the question papers for Classes IX and X have been designed by the Board and are being sent online to schools with the purpose of maintaining uniformity and standardization. Depending upon the feedback and suggestions from the stakeholders, the Board may review this policy in future, if need be.
10. Kindly note that answer scripts of Summative Assessment II for class IX and Summative Assessment II (under scheme 1) for class X should not be sent to the Board under any circumstances. However these must be preserved and kept in the safe custody at the school as per schedule given in CBSE circular dated 28/06/2012 and reproduced below:
REDUCTION IN THE PERIOD OF RETENTION OF THE ASSESSMENTS OF CLASSES IX AND X AT SCHOOL LEVEL
Vide Circular No. 8/2012 of 19.1.2012 against Sl. No. 10 schools have been instructed to preserve and keep the answer books of classes IX and X in the safe custody at the school for at least a period of three years (in case of Class IX) and two years (in case of Class X) along with question papers and marking schemes for any verification by the Board subsequently. It has, time and again been brought to the notice that with increasing volume it is becoming difficult to preserve the record. The Board has, therefore, reduced the retention period of the assessments of classes IX and X to be preserved at the school level w.e.f. 2013 examination and the same is as under :
i) Answer books of candidates(both for main and Improvement of Performance examination) shall be preserved by the School upto 02 months after declaration of result in respect of such candidates who have not applied for verification of grades or sought photocopy of the answer book.
ii) Schools shall preserve the answer books in cases where mistake has been detected on account of verification of grades and those cases seeking photocopy of answer book(s) as under –
- Mistake detected on account of Verification of grades – 01 year from the date of declaration of result
- In case of providing photocopy of answer book(s) – 01 year if no RTI case received and 03 years if RTI case received
iii) Schools shall preserve the answer books of sub-judice cases for 01 year after the final judgement
iv) Schools shall weed out the evidence of assessments of classes IX & X along with the answer books of class X of the relevant examination viz. for 2013 Class X examination the evidence of assessments of class IX session 2011-2012 and Class X session 2012-2013 be weeded out 02 months after declaration of result of class X. However, Mistake, RTI and sub-judice cases will be dealt as per paras (ii) & (iii) above
v) Schools shall weed out the hard copies of the marks data for classes IX and X along with the answer books of the Class X examination of the relevant year viz. for 2013 Class X examination the evidence of assessments of class IX session 2011-2012 and Class X session 2012-2013 be weeded out 02 months after declaration of result of class X.
A. KINDLY NOTE THAT SCHOOLS WOULD NOT COMMUNICATE THE MARKS OF SUMMATIVE ASSESSMENT-II TO THE CANDIDATES OF CLASS X UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES.
B. AS PER THE SCHEME LAID DOWN AND COMMUNICATED EARLIER, THE BOARD WOULD BE DECLARING THE RESULTS OF ALL CANDIDATES OF CLASS X TOGETHER IN THE MONTH OF MAY AND WILL BE ISSUING THE CERTIFICATE THEREAFTER.
This may be brought to the notice of all teachers, students and parents of classes IX and X.
For any further clarification please contact the following between 9.00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. on all working days:
For Technical Support related to CBSE-ITMS:
Phone support is available at: 09833700117 or 022-39914800 Extension 223
Email support is available at: [email protected]
For Administrative Support related to SA-II:
Phone support is available at: 8506061075 and 8506061073
Email support is available at: [email protected]