1. To sensitize the learner to different existential realities
2. To evolve in the learner a sense of aesthetics.
1. Keeping the above aims in mind 8 selections of poetry and prose each, a novel and a drama for I year and II year Intermediate students have been selected in view of the workload of modern language ( 9 hours per week).
2. The selections have been made in poetry and prose from Renaissance period to the modern times to present the major landmarks in the evolution of English Literature. A classic novel and a play have also been selected.
Poetry: To enable the students to read, appreciate, and interpret critically different kinds of poetry ranging from Shakespearean era to
Prose: To enable the learners to read, comprehend and appreciate different kinds / types of prose by world masters.
Fiction / Drama
To enable the learners to read, appreciate, and analyse critically a novel and a play in terms of character sketch, development of
theme and dramatization of human predicament.
FIRST BOOK: “MYRIAD VOICES”
1. Shakespeare – Let Me Not to the Marriage of True Minds.
2. Milton – Satan’s Speech Book I (first speech)
3. Blake – The Poison Tree
4. Wordsworth – To a skylark
5. Keats – Human Seasons
6. Shelley – Love
7. Browning – To My Last Duchess
1. Francis Bacon – Of Truth
2. Charles Lamb – Dissertation upon a Roast Pig
3. Goldsmith – City Night piece
4. Hazlitt – A Father’s Letter
5. Aldons Huxley – Pleasures
6. J.B. Priestley – Student Mobs
7. Tagore – My Lord, the Baby
Fiction: “DR JEKYLL AND MR.HYDE”