- In a mixture of two solutions, the solution with lower osmotic pressure is hypotonic while solution with higher osmotic pressure is hypertonic.
- The outflow of fluid from the plant cells placed in a hypertonic solution is known a plasmolysis (shrinkage of plant cell).
- At freezing point solid and liquid are in equilibrium so, they have the same vapour pressure.
- When on cooling a solution to its freezing point, the crystals of solvent are separated first.
- Semipermeable membrane is required in osmosis but not in diffusion.
- In diffusion a substance moves from a region of its higher concentration to regions of its lower concentration.
- In reverse osmosis, flow of solvent is from higher to lower concentration. For example, desalination of sea water.
- Copper Ferro cyanide [Cu2Fe (CN) 6] is a chemically prepared semipermeable membrane.
- Plant and trees absorb water from soil by osmosis.
- Osmotic pressure is mainly calculated by Berkley and Hartley method.
- Townsend method is used to find the osmotic pressure of non-aqueous solution without using semipermeable membrane.
- 6% urea solutions and 0.1 M glucose solutions are isotonic.
- The mole fraction of the more volatile component is always greater in vapour phase than in solution phase (Konowaloff rule)
|« Click Here for Previous Topic|
To get fastest exam alerts and government job alerts in India, join our Telegram channel.