Get here NCERT Solutions for Class 6 Social Science Civics Chapter 7. These NCERT Solutions for Class 6 of Social Science Civics subject includes detailed answers of all the questions in Chapter 7 – Urban Administration provided in NCERT Book which is prescribed for class 6 in schools.
Resource: National Council of Educational Research and Training (NCERT) Solutions
Class: 6th Class
Subject: Social Science – Civics
Chapter: Chapter 7 – Urban Administration
NCERT Solutions for Class 6 Social Science Chapter 7 – Urban Administration
Question 1. Why did the children go to Yasmin Khala’s house?
Answer: The children were curious to know who was responsible for fixing the streetlights. Yasmin Khala was working for the municipality. Hence, one child’s mother advised them to go to Yasmin Khala. She thought that Yasmin Khala would be the best person to answer their questions.
Question 2. List four ways in which the work of the Municipal Corporation affects the life of a city-dweller.
Answer: Following are the four ways in which the work of the Municipal Corporation affects the life of a city-dweller:
- By keeping the drainage clean, it keeps the city clean.
- By collecting and disposing off the garbage, it maintains cleanliness on streets.
- By providing parks, it provides open space to people.
- By working on malaria and dengue prevention, it helps the health of the people.
Question 3. Who is a Municipal Councillor?
Answer: The person who is elected by the people of a ward is called the municipal councilor or ward councilor.
Question 4. What did Gangabai do and why?
Answer: Gangabai was not happy because there was no regular cleaning of streets in her locality. So, she took a group of women and protested in front of the Chairman’s office.
Question 5. How does the Municipal Corporation earn the money to do its work?
Answer: The Municipal Corporation collects taxes on houses, water, entertainment, parking, etc. to earn money. It also gets some grant from the government.
Question 6. Discuss In the two photographs you see different ways of collecting and disposing garbage. i) Which way do you think provides safety to the person disposing garbage? ii) What are the dangers of collecting garbage in the manner shown in the first photograph? iii) Why do you think that proper ways of disposing garbage are not available to those who work in municipalities?
- The second photograph shows the safe way of disposing garbage.
- In the first photograph, the worker may get injured. He may get infected and may fall sick.
- This can be because of two reasons. First reason is lack of fund to buy proper equipments. The second reason is lack of awareness among workers as well as among he officers.
Question 7. Several poor people in the city work as domestic servants as well as work for the Corporation, keeping the city clean. Yet the slums in which they live are quite filthy. This is because these slums seldom have any water and sanitation facilities. The reason often given by the Municipal Corporation is that the land in which the poor have set up their homes does not belong to them and that slum-dwellers do not pay taxes. However people living in middle class neighbourhoods pay very little in taxes compared to the amount of money the corporation spends on them in setting up parks, street lighting facilities, regular garbage collection etc. Also as you read in this chapter, the property taxes collected by the Municipality makes up only 25-30 per cent of its money. Why do you think it is important that the Corporation should spend more money on slum localities? Why is it important that the Municipal Corporation provide the poor in the city with the same facilities that the rich get?
Answer: Slums are also integral part of a city. The slum dwellers contribute immensely. They provide various services to the middle class people. Moreover, if an epidemic spreads in a slum it will also affect the middle class locality. So maintenance of cleanliness in slums is as important as in middle class locality.
|« Previous||Next »|
NCERT Solutions for Class 6 Social Science Civics All Chapters
- Civics Chapter 1 – Understanding Diversity
- Civics Chapter 2 – Diversity and Discrimination
- Civics Chapter 3 – What is Government
- Civics Chapter 4 – Key Elements of a Democratic Government
- Civics Chapter 5 – Panchayati raj
- Civics Chapter 6 – Rural Administration
- Civics Chapter 7 – Urban Administration
- Civics Chapter 8 – Rural Livelihoods
- Civics Chapter 9 – Urban Livelihoods
We hope that our NCERT Solutions for class 6 Social Science Civics helped with your studies! If you liked our NCERT Solutions for Class 6 Social Science Civics, please share this post.
NCERT Solutions for Class 6 All Subjects