The Kishore Vaigyanik Protsahan Yojana exam will be held on 29 Oct 2017. Students across the country, including you, are gearing up to do their best in the exam. KVPY is the most coveted scholarship-fellowship programs in basic sciences initiated by DST (Department of Science and Technology, Government of India).
Most of the candidates who are going to appear for the exam will either be appearing for engineering entrance exams or mbbs entrance exams in near future. But those cannot be compared with KVPY. The exam sets itself apart as being one with a large focus on multi concept implementation in each question. Here are some things you need to keep in mind, certain KVPY tips that will help you get the edge over other students.
- If you are preparing for JEE or AIPMT exam, the KVPY Syllabus is almost the same. Thus both preparations can go side by side without affecting each other. If you have studied NCERT and other study materials thoroughly, cracking KVPY questions will be easy for you.
- As only few days are left, we would suggest not to pick up any new topic, especially something that is tough and you have not touched so far. It will confuse you and you may forget other things that you already know.
- If there is a topic that you have tried to grasp for a long time, and still feel you are not confident enough in, give it one last shot today. Be calm when you study such a topic and maybe you will finally grasp it. But do not get worked up over it at all.
- On the last moment, revise concepts. If you have a notes copy where you have noted down the important formulas and theorems and key terms, go through that. Do not pick up big fat books.
- Take a mock test. It is very important that you take KVPY Mock Tests. Sometimes it is easier to solve a question in a relaxed atmosphere, but when the student goes to give the exam, he gets nervous. So prepare yourself to give an exam.
What to do on the day of the exam?
- Sleep well- This is very very important. In this, we would advise the parents and guardians to ensure that the student takes a balanced meal the night before the exam and goes to bed early. Staying up late and feeling sleepy during exam will spoil everything. You need to be as alert as a soldier during the exam.
- On the day of the exam, try to stay calm. It is normal to get butterflies in the stomach. But listen to your parents, be responsible and eat well. Going empty stomach may make you dizzy and you will not be able to concentrate on your exam. Take a bath, relax, take some long breaths.
- Tell yourself “I can do it!“. Sometimes, all you need is a little boost of confidence.
- Take your KVPY admit card. You can download it HERE.
- Reach the test center at least half an hour early. But do not go too early. Standing outside the center can make you nervous. So be there, but do not camp a tent outside hours earlier.
- Do not talk to too many people before exams. Someone may ask you “Hey! Have you done this chapter?” and you will think “Damn! I did not!”. Avoid people and their curious questions till before the exam.
During the KVPY Exam
- The examination hall: Look around. Be comfortable. Keep your belongings like water bottle, stationery, Admit Card in a proper place. Be the king of the hall. You need to be absolutely comfortable.
- In case the hall is not very proper, try to adjust. For cases like less lighting, you may request the invigilators to help you out. They can switch on lights, open windows and so on. Be resourceful.
- When you get the paper, first of all fill in the details carefully. Do not hurry yourself up. Be calm.
- When you start with a question, quickly determine whether it is (a) Very easily solvable (b) Will require little time to get through (c) I can’t do it right now
- For (a) and (b) type, do them in first go. But be accurate. More than getting an answer, getting it right is important. Remember, there is negative marking.
- Once you are done with questions of type (a) and (b), you can attempt questions of type (c).
- DO NOT USE UNFAIR MEANS. Remember, cheating is never the solution.
- After the exam, do not stay back to discuss the paper with friends or peers. We would suggest you go back and relax. Later in the evening, we will provide you with the Answer keys. You can get an idea of your performance from there.
Best of luck!
KVPY Exam Pattern/Format
KVPY Exam is conducted for three levels of students namely
- KVPY SA: For Class XI students
- KVPY SX: For Class XII students
- KVPY- SB: For 1st year Students of B. Sc. /B.S. / Integrated M.Sc. /M.S
KVPY SA Exam Pattern
- For Class XI students, KVPY-SA Exam is held. It has a single paper, which is divided into two parts. Each part contains MCQ from Physics, Chemistry, Maths & Biology. You can find the number of questions and marks in each subject of both parts of KVPY-SA Exam in the table at right.
- As you can find from this exam pattern KVPY-SA Exam, there are a total of 80 questions of total 100 marks. Duration of KVPY-SA Exam is 3 hours.
- There is negative marking in KVPY-SA Exam: 1/4th mark for each wrong answer.
KVPY SX, SB Exam Pattern
- There are two parts in KVPY-SX & SB Exam too. But here you have to answer any three subject in Part-1 and and two subject in Part-2.
- Thus the total marks is 100 (Part-1: 3×20 + Part-2: 2×20). Duration is 3 hours.
- There is negative marking in KVPY-SX & SB Exam: 1/4th mark for each wrong answer (i.e. minus 0.25 mark in Part-1 & 0.5 mark in Part-2)
To get general idea of the question paper pattern and their difficulty levels, you can solve KVPY Previous Year Question Papers. You should set examination environment and set time as per the time given in the examination and solve the paper. It help in building confidence and understanding the examination in better way.
Sample papers are also designed to give idea of the question paper type, topic covered and marking scheme. You can also try KVPY Sample Papers to understand topics which are important for the examination and hold higher marks.