Important Talent Search Exams
|Allen TALLENTEX 2018 (Class 5 to 11)|
|Aakash ANTHE 2017 : 100% Scholarship (Class 8, 9, 10)|
Emulsions:- An emulsion is a colloidal dispersion in which both the dispersed phase and the dispersion medium are liquids.
Emulsifiers or emulsifyingagent:- The emulsion are generally prepared by shaking strongly the mixture of two colloids these emulsions are generally unstable. The substance a thus added to stabilize the emulsions are called emulsifiers or emulsifying agents.
Types of Emulsions:-
The emulsions can be classified in two types:-
- Emulsion of oil in water(o/w):- the emulsion in which oil is the dispersed phase and water is the dispersion medium.
Ex. Milk is an emulsion of liquid fat in water.
- Emulsion of water oil(w/o):- the emulsion in which water is the dispersed phase and oil is the dispersion medium.
Ex. Codliver oil is an emulsion of water in oil.
Demulsification:- the process of separation of constituent Liquids of an emulsion is called as Demulsification.
- They can be separated into their constituent particles by boiling, Freezing, centrifuging, by adding large amounts of electrolytes etc.
Application of emulsions:-
- Asphalt emulsified water is used for buiding roads without necessity of melting Asphalt.
- Several oily drugs are in the form of emulsions.
- The cleaning action of ordinary soap for washing clothes, crockery, is based upon formation of water-oil emulsion.
- Certain disinfectants like Dettol are emulsions of oil-in-water type on mixing with water.
|« Click Here for Previous Topic||Click Here for Next Topic »|