In your board exam for English subject, you may come across a 4 marks question on advertisement writing, in Section B, writing skills. To grab full marks in this question, you should know the format, and some mindful tips on writing advertisements. This is a short answer type question in the English paper.
What is an advertisement?
An advertisement is a kind of a public announcement which is made through a popular media medium like a newspaper, magazine, radio, etc. It is also displayed on the placard as well. You must have observed that the advertisement is generally of around 50 words. The marking is assigned to the students for a correct format and the content. Here, you can check the advertisement writing format and a sample example for the same.
Let Us Understand The Nuances of Advertisement Writing
It is a notice or announcement made in a public medium promoting a product, service, or event or publicizing a job vacancy. There are two (02) types of advertisement:
Classified ads are used by the general masses to promote or use services. The only concern in the classified ad is to get things noticed with as minimum words as possible.
Essential Details to Note
- Classified ads are of in between the range of 50 words.
- Clearly state the category like ‘For Sale’, ‘To Let’, etc.
- Put the matter in a box.
- Give contact address, mobile number, etc.
Type of Classified Ads
- Situation / Vacant
- Lost and Found
- Sale and Purchase
- Placement services
- To Let
- Packers and movers
- Tours and Travels
On the other hand commercial or display advertisement by leading manufacturers, establishments, organisations etc. for the publicity and promotion of their products, services or some events.
- It is designed for commercial purpose.
- It takes more space and is more expensive in terms of advertising cost.
- These are visually more attractive with varying font, shape and size.
- There are catchy slogans, punch lines with witty expression with pictures or sketches.
Essential Details to Note
- Do not forget to mention the name of the company / institute / organisers, etc.
- Mention the detail of the product / event / educational course etc.
- If there is any special discount.
- Mention the address of the company / institute / organisers, etc.
Format for Classified Advertisement Writing
The correct format for advertisement writing for Classified Ads is as follows:
- Heading (should be in capital letters)
Format for Situation Vacant types
- Always start with wanted or required.
- Do not forget to mention the name of the organisation.
- Clearly state the number of vacancies and post for which the advertisement is about.
- If stated, mention the age and gender of the candidate.
- Qualification and experience required for the post.
- Mention the pay scale, perks and also the mode of applying.
- Address and contact number for correspondence.
Format for To-Let ads
- Always start with WANTED or AVAILABLE.
- Mention the type of accommodation.
- Expected rent.
- Any other feature of the accommodation.
- Address and mobile number to contact.
Format for Sale / Purchase of Property / Assets
- These type of ads start with SALE / PURCHASE / WANTED.
- Give a brief description of the property / vehicle / good.
- In case of property, mention the number of floors, size, number of rooms, location and surroundings.
- In case of a vehicle, mention the colour, model, accessories, year, modifications (if any), price, mileage and condition.
- For household goods, mention the condition, the price offered or expected.
Format for Educational institutions
- Write the name of the Institution.
- Past record of the Institute.
- Courses offered and the duration of the courses.
- Eligibility criteria.
- Facilities provided and fee structure.
- Information on scholarship, if available.
- The last date to apply, etc.
- Contact number and address.
Format for Missing person
- Physical description like height, complexion, etc.
- Name, age and any health related issues.
- Any identifying feature like clothes, accessories, etc.
- Place where the person was last seen.
- Mention detail of the reward if there is any.
- Address and phone number.
Format for Tours and travels
- Start with PACKAGE AVAILABLE.
- Write the name of the travel agency.
- Mention the name of the destination and duration of the trip.
- Price and any special discounts if available.
- Contact address and phone number.
Samples for Classified Advertisement Writing
Candidates can check the samples of the advertisement for writing section below:
Sample Example for Situation Vacant
Qus. You are a manager of ABC Ltd. Sector 30 Gurgaon. You need an efficient data entry operator for your office. Write an advertisement for the ‘Situation Vacant’ column of a local daily.
Wanted an efficient, smart and hardworking data entry operator for a leading manufacturing company in Gurgaon. Qualifications – Graduate, age 20-35 years. Typing speed 50 w.p.m. Preference to those who have 1-2 years of experience. Salary upto INR 2600000 annually. Apply with complete bio data and update resume within 15 days to ABC Ltd., Sector 30, Gurgaon.
Sample Example for Sale / Purchase of Property / Assets
Qus. You want to purchase a flat in Anand Vihar. Write an advertisement in not more than 50 words detailing your requirements.
For purchase Omaxe Flat in Anand Vihar with two bed-rooms, attached bathroom, balcony, D/D with family lounge. Price to be around 30-40 lakhs. Bonafide owners or dealers to contact, BK Bose, 132/98, Ramesh Nagar, New Delhi-110015, Phone – 8976546345.
Sample Example for To Let
Qus. You are Aman / Shalini of 98, Vijay VIhar, Haryana and wish to let out your newly built house. Draft an advertisement in not more than 50 words for publication in the ‘To Let’ column of Hindustan Times giving all necessary details.
Available on rent-basis a newly built house in Vijay Vihar. Four bedrooms with attached baths, a drawing-dining room, a large kitchen, and a balcony. Garage with car paking facility also provided. Rent expected to be around 50,000-70,000 p.m. Family preferred. Contact mobile number – 7503391356 or Shalini, 98, Vijay VIhar, Gurgaon, Haryana.
Sample Example for Educational Institutes
Qus. You are the assistant secreatary of MRIU, Faridabad. Draft an advertisement for publication in Times of India announcing addmission in undegraduate courses.
MRIU, Faridabad, is offering admission in various undergraduate courses like B.Tech, B.Sc, LLB, etc. Eligibility – Class 12th passed. Course Fee – Rs. 2500 payable quarterly. Excellent faculty, research labs, hostel available. Last date to submit application form – 17 Mar. Contact, Assistant Secretary, MRIU or Phone – 25097865.
Sample Example for Missing person / pet animal
Qs. You are Nayan of WZ-4976 Moti Nagar, New Delhi. Your youger brother, Sahil, aged 15, 145 cms tall, fair coloured, dressed in blue shirt and black pants is missing for the past two days. Draft a suitable advertisement in the ‘Missing Persons’ column of a daily newspaper in not more than 50 words.
Missing since 24 Feb, Sahil, a yound boy, 15 years old of height 145 cms, fair complexion, brown eyes, medium cut hair. He is wearing a blue shirt and black pants. If any information about his whereabouts, kindly contact at Phone 7865456327 or Nayaan, WZ-4976 Moti Nagar, New Delhi.
Sample Example for Lost / Found
Qus. You are Anamika of 178, Narendra Nagar, New Delhi. While travelling by bus from Narendra Nagar to Connaught place, you lost your briefcase. It has valuable document including your senior secondary pass certificate. In not more than 50 words, draft a notification, in The Times of India by including all the details about the lost briefcase.
LOST AND FOUND
I lost my XYZ brown color briefcase wth ‘A’ written near the handle, while travelling by DTC bus route no. 167 from Narendra Nagar to Connaught Place. There are some valuable documents of mine like my senior secondary pass certificate. Finder will be rewarded. If found, kindly contact at Phone 7895432167 or Anamika, 178, Narendra Nagar, New Delhi.
For more practice purpose, you can download the sample papers or solve previous year papers.
Leave a Reply