The hotel management programme is designed for MEN and WOMEN interested in career advancement and employment within the hospitality industry. It is basically a service industry and holds a promising future for individuals who are keen to serve others.
India has tremendous potential for growth and development of hotel industry due to various reasons like rapid industrial progress, liberalization of trade and opening up of economy, tourism etc. All this involves frequent travelling by Industrialists, traders, businessmen, tourists, bureaucrats etc. necessitating places to stay away from their homes. They require food and catering services. As a result, it gives rise to demands for personnel in this industry at different levels. Hotels, inns, restaurants, eating joints are spread all over the country and across the globe.
Anyone who is interested in joining this industry must keep a few important considerations in mind:
- Interest in a meeting, interacting with new people.
- Possessing a pleasing and presentable personality.
- Having patience to listen to others.
- Skills to deal with awkward situations in an efficient and amicable manner.
- Willingness and capacity to put in hard labour even in odd hours.
- Working in shift duties.
Courses in Hotel Management-
- B.A. in Hotel Management
- B. Hotel Management
- B.Sc.in Hotel Management
- B.B.A. in Hotel Management
- M.Sc. in Hotel Management
- M.B.A. in Hotel Management
- Diploma in Hotel Management
- P.G.D. Hotel Management
- Craftsmanship courses in Hotel industry
- Certificate courses in catering and Hotel Management
Procedure for entering the career after passing 10+2 –
1. Hotel Management Entrance Exam
National Council of Hotel Management and Catering Technology conducts Joint Hotel Management Exam every year in April for the 8000 seats in different government institutes in 30 selected cities of India. There are several other reputed private organisations and institutes who also conduct their own Hotel Management entrance exam for seats in their institutes. Besides that, there are several big hotels having their own brand hotels training institutes that conduct entrance exams. Aspirants of Hotel Management can also attain a degree and diploma in Hotel Management by correspondence through IGNOU, New Delhi and Kota Open University, Kota.
The following areas are generally tested in the entrance exam-
- Logical Reasoning
- English Language
- Numerical Aptitude
- General Awareness
2. Interview after qualifying Entrance Examination.
Duration of the Course
Different types of Hotel Management courses i.e. Certificate, Diploma and Degree, have a different duration ranging from 6 months to 3years.
Some of the important institutes of Hotel Management in Delhi and National Capital Region are –
- Institute of Hotel Management, Catering Technology and Applied Nutrition, Pusa, New Delhi.
- Delhi Institute of Hotel Management, Lajpat Nagar, New Delhi.
- Guru Gobind Singh Indraprastha University, Delhi.
- Jamia Milia Islamia University, Jamia Nagar, New Delhi.
Note – Some other private institutes are also imparting Hotel Management courses in Delhi and National Capital Region.
Career Prospects in Hotel Management –
- Front Office Executive / Management Trainee
- House Keeping Executive / Management Trainee
- Food and Beverage services Executive / Management Trainee
- Kitchen Executive / Management Trainee
- Sales and Marketing Executive / Management Trainee
- Club Managers
- Hospital Administration and Catering
- Institutional and Industrial catering
- Cruise ship Hotel Management
- Airline catering and cabin services
- Catering department in banks and insurance houses
- Jobs in government-owned catering departments e.g. Railways, Armed forces, ministerial conventions etc.
- Entrepreneurship – opening your own restaurant or food place, tiffin services, catering services, corporate parties.
To get study material, exam alerts and news, join our Whatsapp Channel.