The students who are all ready to appear for the Class 10th English examination tomorrow must be aware of certain key points to attempt particular questions in the paper. To start with the question of story writing, the students must be aware of its critical elements and how one can create a short yet an impactful story within 150-200 words. To attempt the question of the story, the students must mix their imagination with eye-catching words. Check this article to know the format of story writing, elements of a story etc.
Key Points for CBSE Class 10 Story Writing
- First of all, have a plot. Once cannot just start writing a story, you should have a clear plot in mind.
- Number of characters and their type. The few it is, the better.
- Setting of the story means the era or place, and time in which it is taking place.
- At theme is important to write a story. A best theme is that theme which relates to the maximum number of audience.
- Conflict should be less but it must be intense.
- Do consider word limit of 150 – 200 words. Hence, keep it short.
- CBSE Board Exams 2020: 7 Critical Tips For English To Help You Score High, And Not Lose Marks
- CBSE 10th English Communication (101) Sample Papers with Solutions, and Last Minute Revision Tips, Exam Pattern
- CBSE 10th English Language and Literature (184) Sample Papers, Previous Year Papers, and Last Minute Revision Tips
- CBSE Sample Papers 2020 for Class 10 – English Language and Literature
Format of A Story
While attempting the question of story writing, the candidates must keep the format of the story in mind. Check the points that must be present in your story.
- Title: Keep the title of your story eye catching. Make sure that your story revolves around the title only.
- Intro Para: The beginning of the story catches the utmost attention of the reader. So, make sure you use a catchy line while introducing a story. You can also take help from the lines provided in the question paper and make a story out of it. For instance: You can use phrases like, “One upon a time”, “There used to be”
- Plot: The plot actually means your whole story. So, make sure your plot is well developed and based on your title.
- Good Introduction of Characters: Make sure you include the worthy characters in your story. The characters must be included in such a way that they enhance and give meaning to your story.
- Conclusion: The best way to conclude your story is to end it with a moral. In this way, the reader will get impacted by your story. Sometimes, open ending also leaves an impact on reader’s mind. So, it is totally on you on how to conclude your story.
Difference Between An Essay and a Short Story
Often confused with one another, an essay and a short story are different pieces of writing. Let us understand these key terms.
Essay: An essay is the simplest form of writing wherein, there is introduction, body and conclusion regarding a particular topic. Here factual information is presented. For eg: An Essay on Holi
Story: A story is the form of writing where, an incident or an action takes place around the characters and a story is built out of it. In the story, the characters and plot are the crucial elements. For eg: A story about ‘Honesty is the Best Policy’
Some Points to be Aware of While Writing a Story
While attempting the question on story writing, make sure these points are followed.
# Less Characters: Introduce less but imactful characters.
# Catchy First Line: As the age old phrase states, “first impression is the last impression”, make sure your first line of the story is catchy and grabs the attention of readers.
# Moral of the Story: If possible, include the moral of the story to create an impact.
# Short and Crisp: Try to keep your story short, crisp and to the point. Avioid using many charcaters.
# Use simple language while depicting the story: While writing the story, make sure to not use difficult and complex words. Use easy to understand words.
# The story must have a flow: The story must be have a flow. In other words, the sentences in the story must be inter connected.
To get fastest exam alerts and government job alerts in India, join our Telegram channel.