In Class 9, 10, 11, 12 English paper, section B of the question paper is Writing & Grammar. The most important thing to note in the writing part is that you must write the letters, essays, story as per the format. Furthermore, sentence formation also plays a vital part in the writing section. One of the question which is mostly asked in the exam is write a letter to the editor. Here, we have provided a format and an example which you can refer to prepare for this part.
What is the Letter to the Editor?
A letter to the editor is written to the editor of a newspaper or magazine. Generally, in these letters, a social issue or problem is highlighted. Since, it is a formal letter, the format is to be followed strictly, furthermore, there are marks for writing the letter in a correct format. Now, there are few points to take care of while writing a letter to the editor:
- Re-read your letter and ensure there is no spelling error
- Since it is a formal letter, use only formal language.
- Do not use abbreviations and slang language in formal letters.
- Take a good look at where to put commas at the starting of the letter.
What is the Format for Letter to the Editor?
Students need to write the letter to the editor as per the format provided below:
- Sender’s address: First you need to write the address and contact details of the sender.
- Date: Now, below the sender’s address, leave a space or line and then write the date.
- Receiving Editor’s address: Here you need to write the recipient of the mail i.e. the editor.
- Subject of the letter: Write the main purpose of the letter in one line. It must convey the matter for which you are writing the letter for.
- Salutation: For formal letter, the salutation to be used are Sir / Respected sir / Madam.
- Body: Write the matter of the letter here. You can divide it into 3 paragraphs.
- First para of the body: Introduce yourself and explain the purpose of writing the letter in brief.
- Second para of the body: Give a complete detail of the matter.
- Third para of the body: Conclude by mentioning what you expect to be done by the editor. For example, you may want him to highlight the issue in his newspaper / magazine.
- Complimentary Closing: You can conclude the letter using Thanks / Thank You & Regards.
- Sender’s name, signature, and designation (if any provided in the question).
Example of Letter to the Editor
Below we have given an example for the convenience of the students for writing a letter to the editor.
Qs. You are Amar / Sheela, a student of T.D Public School, Delhi. You are concerned about the water logging in your area during rainy season. Write a letter to the editor of a newspaper highlighting the need to improve the condition of road.
T.D. Public School
Subject: Water Conservation
Respected Sir / Mam,
Hello! I am Sheela, student of S.M. Public School, Delhi, class 10. I am writing this letter with concern regarding the poor condition of road. During the rainy season, there is water logging everywhere, which makes it difficult for the commuters to walk or ride their bicycle or car even.
It is extremely dangerous for people to come out of their house during rainy season as there are pot holes on the road which further lead to accident. Not only accident become a concern but for people living near such areas are also at risk due to the born of various diseases like dengue.
An awareness must be created regarding this condition. So, it is my humble request that you highlight this issue in your newspaper and spread awareness among the public. Media is one of the most powerful tools these days. It holds the power to make and break the kingdom and can definitely urgent the government and the public to be more responsible towards water problems and measures for improving the roads.
I hope you will consider this small request and take action on it.
Thanking you in anticipating.
To get fastest exam alerts and government job alerts in India, join our Telegram channel.